WG: upgrading lpar AIX5.2

From: Franco Chiellino (techi@CHIELLINO.CH)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 13:51:54 EDT

Hi,
are you sure your CD ROM belongs to the partition you want to upgrade
(partiton 2)? The Firmware will only make devices visible that belong to the
same logical partition.

// Franco Chiellino
// mailto:techi@chiellino.ch

    I have a p630 with two partitions, it has 2 internal drives and 9 drives
in an i/o drawer. The first partition boots of the internal drives
(mirrored rootvg) and the 2nd partition boots of a drive from the i/o
drawer. I am trying to upgrade the 2nd partition to AIX 5.2 from the base
CD but after going through the process of selecting the first boot device
and to the point where it ask whether I am doing a migration or new install
that will completely write over the disk it shows only the 2 internal disk
(which partition 1 uses) but not the disk that partition 2 is booting up
from (i/o drawer). This is where I am stuck, if I allow it to proceed with
the options I am afraid it will overwrite the boot disk for partition 1. Is
there something I am not doing to allow me to see the other drives i.e the
drive in the i/o drawer to allow me to perform the upgrade?

     And I am using the Complete Partitioning Guide for pseries servers red
book which helps in getting to the point where I am at but not beyond.

    Thanks.

    Inshan Singh
    Automation Services
    561-355-2659