Re: FW: Network problem

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 09:36:46 EDT

Ayman,

Not sure what your issue is completely, but I thought I would add our findings.

We have P630 (and many other IBM servers and workstations) running 100 Mbit and now 1000 Mbit. All are running Autonegotiate. For
many network vendors, it is now required for 1000 Mbit.

We have an Extreme Summit 5i copper-to-fiber gigabit switch we use for HP servers in auto-sensing.... No problems.

If I understand your problem, you have a P630 that is plugged in Extreme switch. The switch port is set to auto-sense
(autonegotiate). I assume your 10/100/1000 NIC on the P630 is also autonegotiate? (You never want one end to be locked down and the
other auto! Better to lock both ends down, if you can.)

All is fine, but if you reboot, you get network errors? Is this correct?

First, check that your 10/100/1000 is set to autonegotiate (smitty ethernet) - Leave the other settings to default. If problem
continues, be sure setting correct port on dual port card. Might be a restriction on which port is default. Check firmware and
APARS. All else fails, make sure not a bad hardware.

By the way, when you reboot, what is the NIC set to then? Has anything changed. What does "netstat -r" show. Does netstat -tv show
that the card is UP, Media Speed Selected = Auto negotiation and Media Speed Running = 1000 Mbps Full Duplex? What does the Extreme
switch say? Is it linking at 1000? The Extreme switch has logging, does it show an error?

Hope all this helps,

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

                      Ayman Rayyan
                      <ayman.rayyan@ST To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      S.COM.JO> cc: (bcc: Chris Baker/NA/GDYR)
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Re: FW: Network problem
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton
                      .EDU>

                      05/04/04 03:01
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

Hi:

There is no dhcp.
Pls. If I want to make the my 10/100/1000 MB card work with 1000MB ,
which mode I had to choose ?

   Best Regards

   Ayman Rayyan
   IBM pSeries & AIX System Engineer