Re: restricted ftp account

From: Shawn Bierman (BiermanS@METHODISTHEALTH.ORG)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 10:19:46 EDT

Sorry I left a bit out I guess. This user will be coming from some
other machine/platform. Not ftping out from the aix box. He will be
ftping into this aix box.

-shawn

>>> BVerzal@KOMATSUNA.COM 5/3/04 9:16:55 AM >>>
Create a .netrc or use sftp/ssh and script it.

BV

"If everything is coming your way, then you are in the wrong lane"

Bill Verzal
AIX Administrator, Komatsu America
(847) 970-3726 - direct
(847) 970-4184 - fax

             Shawn Bierman
             <BiermanS@METHODI
             STHEALTH.ORG>
             Sent by: IBM AIX aix-l@Princeton.EDU
             Discussion List
cc
             <aix-l@Princeton.

Subject
                                       restricted ftp account

             05/03/2004 09:08
             AM

             Please respond to
                  IBM AIX
              Discussion List
             <aix-l@Princeton.

I have a need for an account that allows a user to ftp to a specific
directory and pull a single file. I don't want them to be able to
change to another directory or pull other files. Also, this directory
contains files that others will need access to so I can't lock it down
to this one user.

They should also not be able to telnet. I tried to make their shell
/usr/bin/ftp in the /etc/passwd file but then they couldn't ftp in so
put it back.

Any ideas for this? Thanks.

-shawn