Re: Sudo question

From: Bill Thompson (bill.thompson@GOODYEAR.COM)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 10:52:50 EDT

While "sudo sh" will work be aware that this will give the user running this command full root access. He/she will be in a shell as
root - very dangerous.

sudo is a great tool for allowing access to commands a user does not normally have rights to run but it does not replace Unix
permissions. i.e.: user "A" needs to be able to edit all of the files in directory /foo/bar however, these files are owned by root.
There is no easy way to get sudo to do this. You would think configuring something along the lines of "/bin/vi /foo/bar/*" would be
the answer and this will allow the user to edit said files, but it will also allow the user to edit ANY file on the system. e.g.:
"sudo /bin/vi /foo/bar/../../etc/sudoers" will work just fine!

If anybody knows of a good way to do this (other than a wrapper script) please share. I'd be very interested in seeing how other
people have solved this problem.

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2