HMC and Temperature

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 15:01:14 EDT

Got a "regatta' rack of 6 P655's. Also have an HMC Linux system.

Wanted to get internal temperatures of the P655. "uesensor" does not work on P655.

Called IBM, they think there might be a backward way or from the HMC, but they don't have a P655 to test on. (Kinda like a plumber
with leaky pipes or the shoemaker whose children go bare foot ;o)

Anyway, anyone out there know how to get environmental readings from the P655? [ AIX 5.2 ML02 ]

(By the way, also have a P630 in the same rack. The "uesensor" commands gives a temperature, but it is always the same number and it
is ridiculously low.)

Through all this, I see that I am not at the latest firmware on the P655 (nor the P630). Also behind on my HBA's. Any
warnings/suggestions before I try to up the firmware on those?

And lastly (I promise), they say I might be able to get the rack temperature if I run

      /opt/hsc/bin/lshwinfo -r sys -e "frame name" -n "object name"

on the HMC at a command line (CTRL-ALT-F1). But, alas, no such command exist on my HMC. They would like me to go from version 3.1.2
to 3.2.3 on my HMC. So, any experiences out there on that move? Problems? Need I make a DVD backup of the whole HMC first?

Thanks,

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.