Re: Newbie question about user name length

From: Bill Thompson (bill.thompson@GOODYEAR.COM)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 12:47:12 EDT

Actually Simon is correct - the eight character limit was a standard across all Unix platforms for years. You can specify more but the
system only recognizes eight. You may have longer names on your Solaris box but according to the useradd man page from a Solaris 8
system:

    The login (login) and role (role) fields accept a string of
     no more than eight bytes consisting of characters from the
     set of alphabetic characters, numeric characters, period
     (.), underscore (_), and hyphen (-). The first character
     should be alphabetic and the field should contain at least
     one lower case alphabetic character. A warning message will
     be written if these restrictions are not met. A future
     Solaris release may refuse to accept login and role fields
     that do not meet these requirements.

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2