Re: System thrashing?

From: Jan-Frode Myklebust (janfrode@PARALLAB.UIB.NO)
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 09:42:01 EDT

> your systeme uses 1.9gb for working storage, so there is nothing left
> for filecache. so, filecache constantly competes with working storage, thats why you
> are constantly paging

But.. are there any need for filecache on a TSM-server? I would
consider disabling this caching for TSM volumes.

        'mount -o rbrw' for filesystems with tsm storage volumes
        'mount -o rbw' for filesystems with tsm database volumes

> When looking at nmon I can see that the system has constantly high
> I/O-waits (30 to 60 % of the CPU cycles), even when there is very little
> activity on the system.

I also have constant 30-60% I/O-waits on my p615 tsm-server, but I'm
not too concerned about it. I mean writing to disk is the main job of
this server..

But, maybe you should have a look at 'NMON=D nmon' to see if you get
the expected performance out of your disks, or maybe some disks are
too busy and you need to split the storage volumes differently..?

> Thus the system is performing rather bad. The
> usage of paging space is about 1.5 GB. The machine is used as Tivoli Storage
> Management Server, and among the dsmserv processes there is one that has
> a size of 1140340 KB in memory.
>
> root@o00tsmoe1:> ps aux | more
> USER PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND
> root 647368 12.1 39.0 1140340 823928 - A Mar 18 6861:59
> dsmserv -o /tsm

USER PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND
root 245888 1.9 6.0 204396 131496 - A Apr 02 282:01 dsmserv quiet

Your dsmserv is using quite a bit more memory than mine, but that's
probably the main task of the machine, so it should be allowed to use
memory...

But you say you have several dsmserv processes..? Shouldn't there be
just one? I wonder what's using all that page space..

   -jf