Re: nmon

From: John F Riordan (jriorda2@CSC.COM)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 14:00:58 EST

I have been running nmon open to the users for a couple of years. However,
the only other users other than Unix Admins that even drop to the command
prompt are Oracle and SAP dba's.

It has been helpful to them when they have questions on performance etc..

John

John Riordan
Unix Systems Administrator
CSC / Bath Iron Works
Bath, Maine
jriorda2@csc.com
207.442.1094

for such purpose.

                      "Mandeville,
                      Janet A" To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      <Jane.Mandeville cc:
                      @VANDERBILT.EDU> Subject: nmon
                      Sent by: IBM AIX
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l

                      04/02/2004 11:25
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

We are having a debate about the wisdom of setting the necessary
permissions (chmod ugo+r /dev/kmem) in order to allow users to run nmon.
One point of view is that this is dangerous; another point of view is that
it is not.

I thought it might be interesting to see what the collective wisdom of this
mailing list has to offer - thanks for any / all opinions!

Jane Mandeville