Re: Unable to unmount a filesystem

From: Jonathan Fosburgh (syjef@MAIL.MDANDERSON.ORG)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 13:22:47 EDT

On Monday 05 August 2002 11:42 am, Forkner, Robert wrote:
> Thanks, that worked on the /u04 filesystem. I found that, somehow, syslogd
> was using that filesystem.
>
> Unfortunately, I have had the same problem with /u02, and fuser returned
> nothing until I added the -d flag ("Reports on any open files which have
> been unlinked from the file system (deleted from the parent directory)")
> and now it is reporting the following:
>
> $ fuser -dV /u02
> /u02:
> inode=446559 size=58296 23410e
> inode=446559 size=58296 24992e
> inode=446559 size=58296 25364e
> inode=446559 size=58296 58638e
> inode=446559 size=58296 59088e
> inode=446559 size=58296 64194e
> inode=446559 size=58296 64784e
> inode=446559 size=58296 75822e
> inode=446559 size=58296 90858e

On UNIX systems (at least in general) and open file can be deleted. When
that happens the inode is dereferenced and so you can't see it by using ls,
etc. Once the file is closed it is finally deleted whenever the sync daemon
does its next batch of updates. I would imagine the numbers refer to the PID
that has the file open. Also note the file does not really have a name at
this point, it is just an unreferenced inode sitting on the filesystem, hence
why it is returning the inode number and not a filename.

Jonathan Fosburgh                       |Certified AIX Administrator
Software Systems Spec. III              |ICQ: 32742908
Communications and Computer Services    |MSN: syjef@hotmail.com
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center            |Jabber: syjef@jabber.org
Houston, TX                             |Yahoo: jefosburgh