Help finding a file, user lost connection

From: Drew (apt@DCS-SUCCESS.COM)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 11:27:10 EDT

A programmer lost his connection to an AIX box temporarily this morning and
hadn't saved his work. The manager rebooted the AIX system and when it came
up, his work was gone. I went into /var/tmp and found files there that
seemed like they could have been it but when I vi them they are jumbled up.
I also checked in /var/preserve and I found files from today with different
names then the actual one he was working on, but when I view it is jumbled.
The programmer was using vi when he was editing the file.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Drew