AIX 5l and VIPA

From: Shane Sweeney (s.sweeney@UNITECH-IE.COM)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 09:09:20 EDT

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how VIPA works? - I know how to set up the virtual
address, but how is it used. Should it be private to the machine it is
created on or should it be accessable from the network?

Should the traffic inbound to the machine be going to the virtual adapter
or physical adapter?

All outbound traffic is going via the virtual address. Does the vipa
address have to be the same as the one given to the physical adapter?

Could you give an example of how a virtual address should be set-up
/configured/used?

IE If we have 2 network adapters 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2, (255.255.255.0) and
we set-up a virtual address of 1.1.1.10. What should we be able to do with
it?

We've enquired with IBM support but nobody seems to be ale to help.

Regards

Shane Sweeney

Unitech Systems
Mobile: 0868571563