Re: Filesystem

From: Bill Verzal (Bill_Verzal@BCBSIL.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 11:49:43 EDT

Well, here is my $.02

If the big filesystem get's corrupted - for any reason, you database
integrity is at risk. If a "temp" filesystem is corrupted by itself, you
have less chance of the database being affected.
If you fill up temp filesystem, so what - the transaction aborts and rolls
back. If this is all one filesystem, the database comes to a grinding
halt.
As you expand one large filesystem, it get's more severely fragmented. A
smaller group of filesystems makes this much easier to control.

What happens when you want to go to multiple instances ? Will they go
under the same one filesystem, or will they get their own ?

BV

Bill Verzal
Technical Consultant
Forbes Technical Consulting
(312) 653-3684
bill_verzal@bcbsil.com
MailStop: 27.201C

                    "Jolet, John"
                    <John.Jolet@MISYSHEALT To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                    HCARE.COM> cc:
                    Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Re: Filesystem
                    Discussion List
                    <aix-l@Princeton.EDU>

                    07/31/2002 10:29 AM
                    Please respond to IBM
                    AIX Discussion List

even if it's on a raid10 or raid5? where's the risk? the reason you want
multiple disks is for failure and performance (multiple spindles), both of
which you have with the array....why does extra filesystems (likely to end
up on the same disks anyway) buy you?