automounter problems with AIX 5.1

From: AIX geek (aixgeek@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 18:44:56 EDT

I'm getting some strange behavior with my automounter
setup.

Disclaimer: I'm not THAT experienced with
automounter. My employer's setup was here long before
I got here (and long before there were AIX machines
here), and in general, it's worked like a charm until
we started putting in AIX 5.1. I've just gone along
with the automounter flow like a mindless robot (well,
when it comes to automounter and NIS) without worrying
about it.

Here's the deal:

Our machines have one of two possible /etc/auto_master
files.

Version #1:
# cat /etc/auto_master
+auto.master

Version #2:
# cat /etc/auto_master
+auto.master.itl

Here are the contents of the auto.master and
auto.master.itl entries:

Version #1:
# ypcat -k auto.master
/net -hosts -nosuid,soft
/- auto.home
/u auto.u

Version #2:
# ypcat -k auto.master.itl
/u auto.u.itl
/home auto.home.itl
/home1 auto.home.itl
/- auto.direct.itl

The problem:
"Version #2" machines, that are supposed to be looking
for auto.master.itl, are ALWAYS and ONLY finding and
mounting the entries from auto.master (the "Version 1"
stuff).

"Version 1" machines are fine. "Version 2" machines
don't mount the /home and /u directories they should.

It seems that automounter is always picking up the
auto.master maps, even if I specify auto.master.itl.

AIX 4.3.3 seems to work fine. AIX 5.1 doesn't. We're
running AIX 5.1 with the "5.1.C" patches.

Thanks,

-AG