Re: repeated chroot question.

From: Sandor W. Sklar (ssklar@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 23:23:58 EDT

At 8:27 PM +0200 7/18/02, Holger.VanKoll@SWISSCOM.COM wrote:
>Hello,
>
>set their shell to /usr/bin/Rsh
>if you already tried: what did not work as expected?
>
>chroot might be possible, but very difficult (recreate /dev
>in chrooted environment etc.)

  ... plus all of the commands that the user might need access to,
plus all of the libraries that those commands are linked to, and so
on. Chrooting is really good for file-transfer only situations, but
is much more difficult on an interactive login-type scenario.

(Of course, when LPARing rolls down to the lower end systems, perhaps
we can just give each user their own LPAR, with data files shared
from a read-only filesystem, or something like that. Or, we can just
go with MVS. :-)

-s-

--
   Sandor W. Sklar  -  Unix Systems Administrator  -  Stanford University ITSS
   Non impediti ratione cogitationis.     http://whippet.stanford.edu/~ssklar/