Re: 7026-H50 (SAP / Oracle)

From: John F Riordan (jriorda2@CSC.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 12:26:02 EDT

Hi Bill,

That is something we will look for the next time it happens.

Thanks for responding.

John Riordan
Unix Systems Administrator
CSC/BIW DD(X)
Brunswick, ME 04011
207.442.1094 jriorda2@csc.com

                    Bill Verzal
                    <Bill_Verzal To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                    @BCBSIL.COM> cc:
                    Sent by: IBM Subject: Re: 7026-H50 (SAP / Oracle)
                    AIX
                    Discussion
                    List <aix-l

                    07/17/2002
                    12:04 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    IBM AIX
                    Discussion
                    List

Sounds like inetd is going away. I've seen it happen before.

Bill Verzal
Technical Consultant
Forbes Technical Consulting
(312) 653-3684
bill_verzal@bcbsil.com
MailStop: 27.201C

                    John F Riordan
                    <jriorda2@CSC. To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                    COM> cc:
                    Sent by: IBM Subject: 7026-H50 (SAP /
Oracle)
                    AIX Discussion
                    List
                    <aix-l@Princet
                    on.EDU>

                    07/17/2002
                    10:39 AM
                    Please respond
                    to IBM AIX
                    Discussion
                    List

Hi All,

Any thing you can think of for me to check would be greatly appreciated.

we have a H50 running AIX 4.3.2 ML-04, Running Oracle 8.0.4, SAP R/3 -
Release 4.0B

For the past 8 to 10 months about 4 times a month the end users will notice
they can't ftp, rsh, or telnet into the server. Yet the Oracle Client
connections or any session opened prior to the problem are fine. Most of
the time it happens off hours and the system has been taken down without a
normal shutdown. IBM has recommended many patches and have also been
onsite to do a hardware diagnostics. No problems found. One other strange
thing we have noticed is that during the problem ping will respond and I
have been told "rcp" works. I have not tested this yet but we now have
some scripts in place to prove this. Ping will hang for about two minutes
but then respond again. The system has been reconfigured to bind to
itself. In hopes to solve a possible NIS problem. I have been running
xmperf and saving. The last time this happened xmperf kept on running and
reported all the activity until we had to bounce the server. Activity
shown on the replay of the log looked completely normal. Error logs are
showing nothing. IBM has taken a look at our dump files and have not had
an answer. I have also turned on Auditing and system accounting in hopes
of more information.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time.
John