Re: Disable CPUs

From: justin.bleistein@SUNGARD.COM
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 17:33:51 EDT

This is what I come back with executing the procedure below:

# bindprocessor -q
The available processors are: 0 1
# cpu_deallocate 1
# chdev -a cpuguard=enable -l sys0
sys0 changed
# bindprocessor -q
The available processors are: 0 1
#
Am I missing something here I'm still seeing 0,1 which suggests to be still
two processors are active?. What should I be seeing am I missing something
thanks!.

--Justin Richard Bleistein

                      "Dhotre, Shekhar"
                      <Shekhar.Dhotre@T To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      -T.COM> cc:
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Re: Disable CPUs
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      07/15/2002 04:55
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

Deallocation of CPU?s with PCI Systems

IT is important to note, that to enable run-time processor deconfiguration,
you must change a kernel parameter. If cpuguard is disabled, you will not
be
able to use CPU_Deallocate successfully. You should first deallocate and
then change the kernel parameter. You can check the parameter with the
lsdev
command.

The order of events is slightly off base, AND poorly documented, but it
works.
1. cpu_deallocate cpunum
where:
cpunum is a valid logical cpu number.
Deallocation command

2. chdev -a cpuguard=enable -l sys0

Changes kernel parameter

3. bindprocessor -q

This checks available processors.

After deallocation, you must re-boot your systems in order for the original
configuration to come back.

With Micro Channel systems, you can use the cpu_state command, which is
more
flexible. You do not have to do a re-boot to bring back your original
configuration.

Micro Channel I/O Systems
cpu_state

To disable?
cpu_state -d cpunum

Flags

-d Disables the specified processor.
-e Enables the specified processor.
-l Lists the status of all processors.

To change your memory configuration with AIX, you need only use the rmss
command. You do not have to reboot your machine to go back to your original
parameters.

1. To change your current memory size to 100MB, enter:
rmss -c 100
2. To print the current memory size, enter:
rmss -p
3. To reset the memory size to the real memory size of the machine, enter:
rmss -r

Shekhar Dhotre
Unix Admin
Boston, MA-02071