Re: installing make

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 11:43:44 EDT

Mount your CD-ROM on the local machine, (create a CD-ROM Filesystem (CDRFS)
if you haven't already). Export it as normal. Note that you can't just NFS
mount /dev/cd0.
On the remote system, NFS mount it. CD to the correct directory, (probably
~/usr/sys/inst.images). Do your install, specifying "." as the source.

There is no way of handling multiple CD's unfortunately. If you need to do
this, the best way is to download the filesets to disk: smitty bffcreate. I
would not advise copying files directly from the CD.

You can then NFS mount the disk filesystem, or ftp the contents or whatever.
I have found that installp performance with an NFS mounted CD is quite
appalling, (partly due to our own network constraints). If you're doing
more than one small install it'll be quicker to copy it to disk and ftp to
the remote system, so you can do the install from local disk.

If you're ftping the filesets, remember the .toc: either copy it over or
create a new one with the inutoc command.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe