Re: Update firmware

From: Jolet, John (John.Jolet@MISYSHEALTHCARE.COM)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 08:10:29 EDT

I've got 5 rs/6000 with upgradeable firmware....four upgrades went
smoothly...the fifth blew out the doohickey the firmware is stored in and I
had to place an emergency call to ibm at 2am to get a new one put in....the
ce asked me to call him before I did a firmware upgrade again so that he
could have the part ready. So the answer is that it is possible to upgrade
the firmware without any problems, but it's also very possible to render
your machine unbootable. Apparently one of the things that went wrong is
that no one had ever upgraded the firmware on that machine and it was too
far backrev for the upgrade to work properly. Proceed with extreme caution.