Re: Problem adding a hdisk to a volume group

From: justin.bleistein@SUNGARD.COM
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 16:33:18 EDT

Type in: "lsdev -Cc disk | grep -i hdisk11" to see if it's available, if
it's defined type in the following: "cfgmgr -l hdisk11" then Type in : "
lspv" to see if the disk has a PVID number if it says none. Try using the
following command:

# chdev -l hdisk11 -a pv=yes <ENTER>

If it still won't add or the above command fails, see if you have 32 PV's
in the volume group already if you do and it's not a BIG Volume group then
backup data and recreate the volume group from the command line using: "
mkvg -B" to make the volume group support 128 PV's instead of 32. If that
doesn't work try doing an "odmdelete" on all of the hdisk11 entries in the
odm then re-run "cfgmgr". If that doesn't work I would suggest
re-formatting the drive through the AIX diag service aids. Also look in you
error report for any hdisk11 PERM - H errors: "errpt | grep -i hdisk11".
Hope one of these works.

--Justin Richard Bleistein

                      Chuck Lam
                      <chuck_lam@YAHOO. To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      COM> cc:
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Problem adding a hdisk to a volume group
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      07/08/2002 04:06
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

M80 running AIX 4.3.3

I was trying to add hdisk11 to a volume group. I am
getting the following error:

0516-024 hdisk11: Unable to open physical volume.
        Either PV was not configured or could not be
      opened. Run diagnostics.
0516-792 extendvg: Unable to extend volume group.

However, I was able to add another hdisk(hdisk16) in
the same pack to this volume group without any
problem.

I did 'rmdev -dl hdisk11' and ran 'cfgmgr'. I
received the same error when I ran 'extendvg vgname
hdisk11'.

Any ideas, TIA