OT - HP-UX /etc/groups file with lines greater than 2048 - work around suddenly fails

From: Jerry Gelaude (ggelaude@WILLINET.NET)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 10:36:13 EDT

Hello fellow AIX'ers

Sorry for the Off Topic post, but I recently started a new assignment
and have not yet joined the HP-UX administrators mailing list. I have
run into something that has become a major issue. The environment has
a huge number of Unix servers 1,100 + and 150,000 + users, along with
some well-developed, in house, high-end utilities. In one group
alone, (example wally and ID 555) on a single control server, I
recently counted 1200+ plus users in wally which is a software
administrative group. 1200 users represents less than 1% of the whole
total user population. The servers are a 50/50 mix of AIX and HP-UX.
The server mix is determined by the type of application which is
involved.

The company has a tool which handles the problem like this. When a
user group (line) approaches the too large point (2048 characters
long) the next new user is added to the next identical group with the
same group ID number, only it is a new line.

Example
Group Group
Name ID

wally 555
wally 555
wally 555

The problem is occurring on a HP server which was recently upgraded to
the most current version of HP-UX 11.11 (HP-UX 11i). Suddenly when it
comes time to create the third instance of 'wally', the /etc/groups
file will only have the new entry's which were being added to 'wally'.
We had one batch which ended up with 'wally' having only one user.
Generally the remainder of the file is unaffected. Needless to say in
this large of an environment, there are some major concerns.

I suspect that either there is a control character in the file, cut
and paste (via Reflection's) is used extensively or something changed
on HP-UX 11i.

Can anyone recommend a good way to filter the groups file for Control
Characters?

A question for those of you who have heavy HP-UX experience. On
HP-UX, is there now a ceiling for the total number of members, which
can belong to a group ID (555)? I believe that the supported method
is the method, which I gave above. As long as you continue the
propagation in this manner, there is no number limit. Does any of
this sound familiar to any of you? Please feel free to continue this
conversation off line. We are not having this problem on any other
server which is 11i. Many of these servers also have equally large
/etc/groups files. This server is one of the primary servers for the
whole corporation.

Due to an extremely strict non-disclosure agreement, I am unable to go
into any further detail or to provide any code examples. :-(

Thanks,
Jerry Gelaude
ggelaude@willinet.net
or