Re: Exceed Desktop !!! Help Please !!!!

From: Bill Thompson (bill.thompson@GOODYEAR.COM)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 11:39:38 EDT

BN,

This very much depends on how you use Exceed. Do you bring up a CDE session
or do you bring up individual windows?

I run my Exceed so that xterms, aixterms, xclock, smit, etc. all appear in
their own window frame intermingled with my Windows application. I always
have full access to either my Windows or UNIX environment.

Some of the folks around here prefer to open up a CDE desktop. (IMHO this
is a very inefficient way to run Exceed - you already have a desktop, why
do you need a second?). You can run CDE and still get access to your
windows in a variety of ways. You can run CDE without the CDE background
(allowing you a view to your Windows desktop), you can run CDE in it's own
window just like any other application, or you can configured Exceed such
that the CDE jumps out of the way when you're trying to access your task
bar.

All of these possibilities are configured from the Hummingbird Xconfig
application.

To configure Exceed so that X-Windows applications appear in their own
window frame:
double click on "Communication" and set "Mode" to "Passive"
double click on "Screen Definition" and set "Window Mode" is set to
"Multiple"
Now run the "Xstart" application. Fill in the appropriate values (this can
be quite a chore) and you should be able to run any command you want.

To use CDE without a background:
double click on "Communication" and set "Mode" to one of the XDMCP settings
(I use XDMCP-query).
double click on "Screen Definition" and set "Window Mode" to "Multiple"

To use CDE in a window:
double click on "Communication" and set "Mode" to one of the XDMCP
settings.
double click on "Screen Definition" and set "Window Mode" to "Single"
Make sure "Panning" and "Full Screen" are NOT selected.
CDE will come up in it's own window which you can minimize to the toolbar.
(Note: If you selected "Show Scroll Bars", you'll get horizontal and
vertical scrollbars to pan the CDE desktop (yuck!).
You should also configure the toolbar:
right click on your Windows toolbar and select "Properties".
Make sure "Always on top" and "Auto hide" are selected.
This will allow the toolbar to "pop up" over top of the CDE screen.

To use CDE in full screen mode:
double click on "Communication" and set "Mode" to one of the XDMCP
settings.
double click on "Screen Definition" and set "Window Mode" to "Single"
make sure "Full Screen" IS selected.
make sure "Panning" is NOT selected.
CDE will take over your windows desktop.

To use CDE to "jump" out of the way:
double click on "Communication" and set "Mode" to one of the XDMCP
settings.
double click on "Screen Definition" and set "Window Mode" to "Single"
make sure "Full Screen" IS selected.
make sure "Panning" IS selected.
CDE will take over your windows desktop, but when you go to access your
tool bar the entire CDE screen will "jump" halfway off the screen.

Try them all and see which you prefer ... and good luck!

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.