Re: SAN question

From: Saxon, Lamar (Lamar.Saxon@AMERICREDIT.COM)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 14:14:09 EDT

Not meaning to burst a bubble, but:

1. You cannot easily migrate existing SSA into an ESS. Not a very clean
method nor are all drives supported.. You cannot simply put the drawers
into an ESS, you would add them to an expansion chassis and wire it into the
ESS. This is speaking from experience. You cannot use them to fill the
base frame. Your storage sales person would have told you the same.

2. You would use a Vicom Slic Router to connect the SSA to the SAN. SAN
gateways/routers convert SCSI, not SSA.

We currently have an ESS and a FastT 700 ( Intel only on the 700 ). Our
DBAs love the performance of our ESS especially with the 16GB read cache &
4GB write cache. We are moving more applications to it as time permits.
Just wanted to dispel the myths.

Thanks !
Lamar