Re: CERT Advisory and HTTPServer

From: Holger.VanKoll@SWISSCOM.COM
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 08:14:47 EDT

IBM is sometimes a bit slow in responding to security issues.

You can be quite sure you are vulnerable. IBM does not touch the core of apache; so HTTPServer is probably vulnerable, too.

All you can do now is
1) ensure the httpd childs dont run as root
2) have the latest fixes installed. this prevents to get root from a www/nobody - user that was compromised

I would not worry that much... exploiting an aix-security-hole is quite difficult and there is not that much information around (compared to linux/*BSD etc.)